Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
natalie134

Granite Color Suggestions

natalie134
last month
last modified: last month

I am looking for advice (not insults) on granite colors to go with my cabinets and tile. I understand my cabinets and tile are outdated, I personally like them and am not concerned with resale value etc. I may change the wall color that's why it's not shown, I don't want that influencing any suggestions since I want to be open-minded. Thanks for any creative ideas. FYI the tile is very sage, steel grey, with some warm browns.

Natural Light

Comments (24)

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    last month

The tile and cabinets seem to work together. I don't understand the need to spend $$$ on new countertops in granite. Can you stay with what you have?

What about applying a product like Durasein over the existing countertops to give the appearance of stone?

https://durasein.com/us/surfaces/

natalie134 thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • enajasereht
    last month

It would be helpful to see the whole room to be able to know how much natural light you get and what you already have on the counter.

natalie134 thanked enajasereht
  • sprtphntc7a
    last month

i agree, a pic of the whole kitchen would be most helpful!

natalie134 thanked sprtphntc7a
  • natalie134
    Original Author
    last month

@BeverlyFLADeziner The old countertops are laminate and wearing down a bit. The one main seam is also bubbling. I received a reasonable quote for granite and don't mind spending the money for it. Thanks for the suggestions.

• natalie134
    Original Author
    last month
    last modified: last month

enajasereht I don't get much natural light and the current countertops are a sand color laminate. I have added some more photos, I just didn't want what I already have to influence a suggestion, since I am very open to change. Thanks.

• natalie134
    Original Author
    last month

Kate Cowers I was thinking a dark color like Uba Tuba or even a silver pearl which is a dark grey. I agree the floor pattern is limiting.

• sprtphntc7a
    last month

with your floor, i woud do a plain granite or even corian. solid color, no pattern since your floors have the pattern. simple is best here.

i would not go dark, since u don't get a lot of natural light.

what is your backsplash?

• Boxerpal
    last month

A picture of the kitchen would really help me to help you.

I love granite. I currently have marble but I have a special place in my heart for my granite counters in my last house. Granite is solid, easy to care for and a great work horse in any kitchen. If you can, take a door with you to a granite yard and if you have an old tile from your floors even better. Take both to the granite yard with a flashlight. And search the right stone.

Here are some ideas that might work with your space.

These floors look similarto yours

South Pasadena · More Info

creamy gray color granite

Kitchens · More Info

Black looks lovely

Wood Cabinets · More Info

Delmar covering all the angles...with custom step in Pantry · More Info

natalie134 thanked Boxerpal
  • natalie134
    Original Author
    last month

sprtphntc7a I just added some better photos. I am in a condo so I am just doing a 4" granite back splash, just in case plumbing issues need to be addressed behind the wall. I am keeping pretty simple. Thanks.

• Kendrah
    last month

If you don't get much light in the room, I'd get a solid off white with little flecks or movement so it doesn't cause chaos with the floor. Have you considered an off white Corian counter? Less expensive than granite and I think will go nicely with your cabinets.

Here's a pic. Look how much it brightens up this room and would go well with your floors and cabinets.

natalie134 thanked Kendrah
  • natalie134
    Original Author
    last month

Boxerpal beautiful suggestions! I just added a couple more photos. I also love the look of granite and any natural stone. Until seeing your suggestions I would have thought my floor would be to busy to pull off patterns. I see now how great it can look if done right! Thanks.

• sprtphntc7a
    last month

a nice sage green counter? to help marry the 2? i would pull a color from the floor to make it look cohesive. now, it looks like the counter and cabs are friends and the floor is a loner.... take a look at corian, it really could work in your space...

• natalie134
    Original Author
    last month

Kendrah I do see how that could brighten it up! I am getting a good price $1800 for demo and install. I think that is hard to beat, although I never shopped for Corian. I normally avoid white since I was raised in a household as a child where everything was white and the furniture was covered in plastic! hahaha Very traumatic and hard to move on from! Maybe a white granite with some nice consistent pattern?

• PRO
    Minardi
    last month

Corian Sagebrush picks up the greeny brown bits.

natalie134 thanked Minardi
  • Kendrah
    last month

Corian is a less expensive material than Granite and every easy to fabricate. I would not be surprised if it were less than your granite quote. My Corian counters for fabrication and install were $1400 and I live in Manhattan where the $1400 included a $200 charge just to drive into the city.

I think your floor has a lot more tones and uneven variation than Boxpal's.

natalie134 thanked Kendrah
  • Kate Cowers
    29 days ago

natalie, lots of good suggestions here. I didn't see the additional pics you posted when I made my black granite suggestion. If you don't get much light, something dark might not be the best but I still think it's classy looking. I have Uba Tuba as my fireplace mantle and while I love it, I don't think the pattern would go well with the floor.

• natalie134
    Original Author
    28 days ago

Kate Cowers I do need to bring a piece of tile and a door in or get some bigger sample pieces. I brought Uba Tuba, Silver Pearl, and Coffee Brown home and only liked the Uba Tuba....I have to be more open minded to light colors also. It just seems like most lighter colors have so much movement. I may look at Corian but honestly I do love natural stone! One color I also like is blue pearl which looks more like a steel grey to me. Thanks for your help, I am in no hurry so I will keep researching and looking.

• Kay p
    28 days ago

I just wanted to add I really like your floors. I would go with a light coloured counter.
    Good for you requesting “no insults” Look forward to seeing what you end up doing!

• herbflavor
    28 days ago

floor makes a lot of things difficult. I wouldnt do soft gray or any gray counters because the floor will dominate with picking a solid gray counter or the like and there is no gain w that. If you try to find a counter w the tones and some pattern trying to work w floor and altho its possible I dont think two grayish patterns w the cabinets sandwiched is that great. For these reasons I'd pick a formica in one of the colors. Youd introduce contrast .....not allowing floor to dominate ....and color will play so well w the cabinets. Its a different approach but I like this blue laminate on the vertical they used ..find similar or another color and look at FORMICA and I think it will be beautiful in there. Leave the floor be what it is ...its not an insult but I wouldnt cater to the grays etc.

these are formica but blue in 1st pic is shown on the vertical...3.rd is a neutral , but Id go color .....these make for a hint of retro ..find retro chrome knobs for the cabs and I think the whole palette takes a new twist and youd like it.

1950's House Refurb · More Info

Brady Lane Remodel Addition · More Info

7410 White Knotty Maple: 180fx® Collection by Formica Group · More Info

natalie134 thanked herbflavor
  • kodiac23
    28 days ago

I would go dark, I like your floor.

natalie134 thanked kodiac23
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    28 days ago

argento gray might be a nice choice.

or Steel Gray granite. This one is leathered

If you want a quartz,

natalie134 thanked Beth H. :
  • btydrvn
    28 days ago

I would lean toward the beige elements when choosing..simply because gray has been so dominant ..even overused…for so long….

natalie134 thanked btydrvn
  • btydrvn
    28 days ago

Also I think the floor tile is gorgeous..even tho’ i am very happy with our LVP floors for lots of practical reasons..not the least of which they are so warm and comfy to walk on ..compared to hard or slippery tiles…

natalie134 thanked btydrvn