Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tracyburton

How would you furnish this Living room?

tracyburton
22 days ago

Attached pictures show a view of the Living room. We will be removing the carpet (19 x 18) and replacing with wood as is shown in the last picture (entry way). The tiled area seen in photo 3 is the dining area off the kitchen & sunporch out the back. We will most likely be painting the walls SW Macadamia. Open to other color ideas, but this is one DH and I have agreed on for multiple properties and it will be one less thing to "discuss". Prefer leather furniture, no white or gray PLEASE!! Don't really care for the orangey-yellow color (every store has a different name for the color) Blue?? Plan to remove the valance board over the blinds & replace with ?????

I really need guidance and appreciate any ideas, layouts -Anything! Thank you!

Comments (21)

• Lyn Nielson
    22 days ago

SW Macadamia isn't much lighter than the color you have

I would choose a shade a few lighter.

How about something from the tile I see in one of the pix?

dark leather furniture will add to the darkness... the browns seems to be limited, British Tan might possibly be the lightest in the browns have you looked at paint colors next to the leather options?

• Tara
    22 days ago
    last modified: 22 days ago

How about a light green that brings in that lovely landscape you have? With a dark green sofa.

• tracyburton
    Original Author
    21 days ago

Thank you all for the input. I really appreciate it!

• RedRyder
    21 days ago

I would do the wood floors first. It’s hard to visualize new furniture on old carpeting.

If area rugs are part of the mix, you might find yourself falling in love with one of those, which then helps with furniture choices.

• tracyburton
    Original Author
    20 days ago

Thank you. I am trying to take it slow, DH wants everything done at once.

• claire larece
    20 days ago

You probably have wood flooring underneath that carpet….any other changes besides paint

• claire larece
    20 days ago

Also, are you planning on keeping the cable wires where it is?

• tracyburton
    Original Author
    20 days ago

The house was built in 2006, no nice wood beneath the carpet unfortunately. The only logical wall for a television is where the cables currently are. (These photos were taken the day before closing on the home, so, they will not be visible once we move in).

• acm
    20 days ago

That's a good wall for TV, not sure what claire is worried about.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    20 days ago
    last modified: 20 days ago

There's likely plywood under the carpet

Not sure I would consider Macadamia. Too close to what's on the walls currently.

I would have the carpet professionally cleaned and pick the same color of the carpet for the walls to brighten the room. It will be a good backdrop for caramel-colored leather upholstery.

This is why you don't want that Macadamia paint color.

• housegal200
    20 days ago
    last modified: 19 days ago

Some thoughts:

--Match your wood flooring to what you have.

--Pull all your colors from the beautiful stone fireplace--warm white several shades lighter than the lightest stones but very warm. You have a lot of trees out there, so it's going to be shaded in that room when the trees leaf out. You also have dark floors already. So walls and upholstery should be light and warm.

Choose a very light butterscotch for your upholstered furniture as below. Sofa echoes the stone. Don't pick a color like Macedemia just because it avoids discussion. You have new "givens" You can pick up warm tones in upholstered pieces, rugs, art--again by echoing the stone.

Palettes that work with golden and white stone:

Tempe Large Remodel · More Info

Alameda Mid Century Modern · More Info

Madrona Remodel · More Info

• ffpalms
    20 days ago

I love the color and layout suggestions from BeverlyFLADeziner. Here’s a few colors that the SW color app picked out from your view and fireplace stone.

• tracyburton
    Original Author
    20 days ago

Thank you for these ideas! The current walls are actually much lighter than pictures appear (more of a light tan) It was very gloomy in Michigan that week. We did get carpet cleaned, but it is beyond help (coffee stains, worn etc) The layout REALLY helps me visualize -thank you!

• PRO
    lisedv
    20 days ago
    last modified: 20 days ago

Macademia paint colour is more or less the same colour as what it now on the walls. I would opt for BM Simply White which is a nice warm white and it's neutral especially if you're painting before buying your furniture. You also mention the same flooring as the rest of the house is under the carpet that you're removing, it seems dark so Simply White would certainly brighten the room and also make the stone fireplace stand out. Here's the look showing a navy blue leather sofa...

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    20 days ago

• housegal200
    19 days ago
    last modified: 19 days ago

@apple pie order: What a great idea to prime the walls in white then making the furniture decisions, then choosing the final wall color--filing away that good tip. I do believe with all those trees out there, this room will be on the dark side when trees are leafed out and dark, matching floors are installed. Because the fireplace dominates the room colorwise, it should be a huge factor in deciding on painT. Going a light warm white would be a better way to go. Maybe call in a color consultant after the floors go in? It's money very well spent when moving into a new house.

I was once so attached to Benjamin Moore's warm and creamy Navajo White in a previous home that I foolishly insisted on it in a different house. But the new house had a different light orientation, different furnishings, etc. Unfortunately, in the new house, Navajo White looked yellow and somewhat dreary, not warm and glowing as it had in our old house. A house's natural light, the amount of it coming in, plus furniture choices are huge factors in determining wall paint choice.

• tracyburton
    Original Author
    13 days ago

Lots of good points. Time to break out of our "color rut" and change it up. Thank you.

• HU-910663146
    13 days ago

I would buy a dark gray couch to pick up the black mantel and fireplace.

• Valinta
    12 days ago

The fireplace sets the earthy tone for the room enhanced by the outdoor view from generous windows. Take cues from nature with neutral light color on walls, I like the idea of deep green leather sofa and upholstered chairs in coordinating pattern fabric. That should work well with the dark wood floors. Fluffy pillows for cold weather months, scale back to smooth cotton pillows for warm months. Are you going to change the fireplace mantel? It appears undersized for the scale of the fireplace.

• RedRyder
    12 days ago

I would add an ivory to your potential wall colors. SW Antique might look warmer in your room than a “white-white”.

Although a caramel leather sofa can be pretty, a contrasting navy blue sofa could be stunning.

Just a thought. I think these rooms are inviting.