Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
slodebads

Help with very open concept

Deb Slocombe
15 days ago

My husband is wanting a larger TV and I am ready to shed the armoire. Because it is an open concept house, storage is not great so a built in with some storage would be ideal. I’m struggling with what to do on the wall between our formal dining and living room. I know rugs would help define the rooms but that is a whole other dilemma I’m dealing with.
Where would you start and end a built in? I welcome all suggestions!

Comments (23)

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    15 days ago

With that corner fireplace a built in will always look awkward. I would get a nice wood credenza and mount the tv over it.

• Deb Slocombe
    Original Author
    14 days ago

Thank you! I agree.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    14 days ago

• Boxerpal
    14 days ago

Someone else posted this question about 10 years ago. And there is one corner fireplace and built in that I think looks spectacular.

There is a great article from 10 years ago about corner fireplaces.

Art Deco Influence · More Info

Corner Fireplaces Give Rooms a Design Edge

Farinelli Construction Inc · More Info

This one is similar to a credenza with lovely shelves that might be able to hold a large tv

Northwest Hills Remodel · More Info

Coastal in Wisconsin · More Info

Westhampton Beach Playhouse · More Info

Overview of Large Family Room with Built-In's · More Info

Transitional Family Room · More Info

• Susan Davis
    14 days ago

I vote built in.

• Deb Slocombe
    Original Author
    14 days ago

Thank you all so much for taking the time to comment. That corner fireplace and the long wall were giving me fits.🙃Now I know I’m not crazy! Thank you for all the wonderful options!!

• PRO
    Mae Day Organizing and Interior Design
    14 days ago

May we have some more pictures of the room with your back to the wall of windows (to see the dining room) next to the fireplace and your back to the TV armoire? Also, may we have measurements of the room that include windows, doors, opening as well as the length of the couches? If so we can draw up a 3D rendition with some suggestions. The photo and measurements will help a lot. A rough hand drawn sketch with the measurements works well. We need you help to do this since we can't be there to do it ourselves. Thanks in advance.

• felizlady
    14 days ago

If you mainly watch tv in the living room, I would suggest having two

• felizlady
    14 days ago

Oops, hit the wrong key. Could you center the tv cabinet on that wall and have two matching lower cabinets added, one on each side?
    You can keep music equipment or extra dining room serving pieces in the new cabinets and add a nice piece of art over each of them.
    Draperies of some kind for the windows could add pattern and give privacy. And yes, rugs would define the areas and add some color,
    too.

• PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    14 days ago

I would definitely do a nice long console. The tv could stay offset to the living room side and you could add some nice art to the left or a couple of floating shelves or even a big plant.

Behind the sofas, you could do consoles there as well for additional storage.

You may want to add some drapes for some texture and warmth.

Good luck!

• Deb Slocombe
    Original Author
    13 days ago

Love it!

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    13 days ago
    last modified: 13 days ago

I would not build in a single thing. I might BUILD only a beautiful long console, to a height of no more than 30" and paint it as trim white. Top it with a lovely solid surface stone.

A smart tv can give you art on the tv from a You Tube app, all day long.

What is the length of the wall from window, to fire surround?

Your space cries for rugs, and it even may be time to let go of the dark china hutch: ).......That would be a handier place for a built in, to include serving, storage, and lighter look

• PRO
    Mae Day Organizing and Interior Design
    13 days ago

Sure hope you do as Jan Moyer suggests. Her suggestions are the best so far. Agree, area rugs to warm up the room, some beautiful curtains, a couch table with decor to help separate the space between the living room and dining room. As well as dress up the back side of the couch. It adds class to the setting. You have a beautiful home. Best Wishes. MAE

• hollywaterfall
    10 days ago

I would put something (whether built in or credenza) along that whole wall where tv is now, until I got to the windows. The windows define the space imo.

• Sherry B
    10 days ago

I’d consider starting maybe 2 feet from the corner with the fireplace and running to about the same distance from the window. Either with furniture or built ins, I’d put a credenza under the TV, which could sit on the credenza or be wall mounted. I would flank this with bookshelves that fill the space as I suggested, ideally to the ceiling. I love the vertical slat panels we used on the wall, but wallpaper or an accent paint color might be used to set off the space. You might want to reorganize your seating with a big TV, as well.

• nancy hoffman
    10 days ago

The corner set fireplace and that substantial “tray” ceiling angle above it definitely add to the challenge! I would try something that may ground that entire space: Set a large, defining rug at the same angle to the fireplace..and place your beautiful furniture to that rectangle.
    Something to keep in mind is that you definitely need to honor the visual weight of the wall of windows on the right, and match that visual weight on the left fireplace wall. This doesn’t need to be ornate; it can be the suggested console/credenza, with mirror above (reflect all that gorgeous light!)…a large plant/tree to the left of that…and, perhaps your husband’s new tv in the often dreaded position above fireplace! This could , actually, be such a wonderful focal…especially displaying digital artwork when not in use as tv!
    I’m just imagining this angle set arrangement could solve the space…and just carry that same flow with your dining space; anchoring that with rug, as well. I do agree with previous suggestions to lose the large, dark china cabinet. Maybe an opportunity to get creative with a whole new finish on it?

• nancy hoffman
    10 days ago

And, you are definitely not “crazy”. It’s a pretty challenging layout!

• Vici W.
    10 days ago

You have a wonderfully spacious & open great room that can be a delight to decorate & live in. The problem I see is that your dining room & living room are fighting each other with two very different styles. Individually each is great but they dont belong together. I recommned sticking with the style you like best & replacing the other room's furniture for a more cohesive, less jarring overall look. It will also make it much easier to find a TV console as middle ground that lets both rooms speak to each other. I think you'll be much happier making that change first. Everything else (rugs, lamps, accessories) will fall into place naturally. Best of luck - this is a fun project.

• jo mu
    10 days ago

I wouldn't do a built-in here between your ceiling curvature and fireplace diagonal it's just will not look right

Once you get rugs to define the space you'll feel better you can do a long beautiful buffet type "tv stand" in your design style

• lazidazi
    10 days ago
    last modified: 10 days ago

If you'd like to have more storage, seek to define dining room from living room space, and want to change the TV setup, have you considered built-ins on either side of the dining room double windows?

Your third picture shows this space utilization option. Guessing the wall space into the corner from left of the windows is approximately three feet (?). If you built matching cabinets on either side of the windows, the right cabinet would almost perfectly define end of dining room, beginning of living room.

You can then mount TV on wall or atop a credenza sized and placed to suit the space.

As you've stated, rugs are needed. A large liviing room rug would be first prioriity, extending just barely behing back of sofa. This leaves space for a smaller dining room rug, that just encompasses the table and chairs. Just a thot, but getting rugs in place first might just help your design decisions thereafter.

• Elizabeth Ann
    9 days ago

What a beautiful living room-dining room. No wonder you want to be careful how you introduce a large TV, now that you’re jettisoning the armoire. I’ve long admired approaches that involve hiding even large TVs in plain sight. One of several online roundups is at https://www.purewow.com/home/how-to-hide-a-tv

• terrib962
    9 days ago

Add some walls - you may need a professional carpenter. Open concept houses were never a good idea. Add walls.