Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
coco20_gw

Strange animal eating rose bush leaves/

coco20
12 years ago

I know it can't be a deer as I am in a village.One day the bush is full of leaves...the next morning, stripped ! The rose is a climber. so the animal has to be very large or be able to walk along the top of the fence to get at the high leaves. We do have possums around, raccoons and skunks I think its got to be a raccoon(?) to be able to clmb and use its fingers. Suppose it could be a rat, but hate to think that.! It comes at night when dog and cat are in. Has stripped the bush twice but its still alive. Barely.(ho,ho) What to do to protect leaves from an athletic animal ??? Chicken wire too large.

Comments (11)

• jacqueline9CA
    12 years ago

We live within 3 blocks of the main street of our 50,000 pop town, and we have deer all of the time, so it very well could be deer. They strip the leaves, but not neatly, so they look torn off. The also eat any buds that might be on the bushes - deer candy! Ours have become nocturnal, so we don't see them much. However, three days ago I saw a doe stop at a corner across the very busy street we live on. She waited until there was no traffic, crossed IN THE CROSSWALK, and calmly went into a yard! If it is deer, there should be some little piles of pellets left around on the ground. I would get one of those rotten egg based deer sprays, and see if that helps.

Jackie

• jaxondel
    12 years ago

To me, it sure sounds like deer have been grazing in your garden. But you say you are in a village. Ergo, it's impossible that your damage is caused by deer?

Before moving to my present location, I also lived in a village where my garden was decimated repeatedly by deer.

The name of the village where I lived is Washington, DC.

• TNY78
    12 years ago

I have to say too, that while growing up, we lived on a very busy street outside of Buffalo, NY and we would see deer in our yard regularly.

However, the image of a runaway giraffe eating your roses keeping popping in my head! You don't live near a zoo do you? haha...just kidding

• roseseek
    12 years ago

For quite a few years I worked nearly right on Pacific Coast Hwy and Sunset Blvd. in Pacific Palisades. Saturday and Sunday mornings, as late as 9:30 AM, we'd watch those enormous rodents walk up and down Sunset Blvd. Yup, that Sunset Blvd., just two blocks from the Pacific Ocean. They become used to all the commotion and people and will walk right up to your front door to gnosh. Kim

• mike_rivers
    12 years ago

Also, raccoons are carnivores and can get almost nothing of nutritional value from rose leaves.

• michaelg
    12 years ago

Good tips from Kim, but in the eastern half of the country, voles eat roots just as gophers do in the West.

• hartwood
    12 years ago

Deer snack on my roses all the time. Rabbits, too. I can tell when it's deer because they usually leave the stipules from the leaves they eat. If the leaves are gone, and the stipules are mostly still there, I vote that deer are your culprits ... no matter if you live in a village or not.

• roseseek
    12 years ago

Thanks Michael. Fortunately, we don't have much of a vole problem. Want some ground squirrels to round out your selection? hehehe They're REALLY cute and love Cheetos! Kim

• seil zone 6b MI
    12 years ago

I'll bet it is deer. I live in an older, very densely populated suburb of Detroit and there are deer in my city. Granted they're in the northern end where there is a small area of forest for them to bed down in during the day but they're creeping further and further into the city all the time. We also have a lot of rabbits, squirrels and other varmints to contend with. We've recently found out that there are now coyotes too. Everyone thinks I'm nuts but I'm rooting for them! They don't eat roses and maybe they'll keep the populations of the other critters in check!

• roseseek
    12 years ago

Coyotes are omnivorous, Seil. If they find roses to their liking, they'll turn to them if nothing else is available. I find their "evidence" out back all the time. It would surprise you to see what all they eat! I agree with you, though, every "critter" they can get is one less for me to watch out for! Kim

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH