Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
redcurls_gw

Need info about owning cars/homes in 2 states

redcurls
16 years ago

We have two homes. One in Florida, one in Maryland. Two years ago we started spending a bit more time in Florida than in Maryland so that Florida is now our legal residence. (We file our income tax there, etc.) We have automobiles in both locations. Our MD car was bought and titled in MD. Our FL car was bought and titled in FL AFTER we had become FL residents and obtained FL driver's licenses.

We now want to buy another car IN Maryland and TITLE it in Maryland. Can we do that since we are not Maryland residents anymore, nor have Maryland driver's licenses? Thanks for your replies.....

Comments (10)

• jasper60103
    16 years ago

We now want to buy another car IN Maryland and TITLE it in Maryland. Can we do that since we are not Maryland residents anymore, nor have Maryland driver's licenses?

I'm not sure a car dealer would care. Addresses on driver's licenses are incorrect a lot of times anyway. Use your MD address when you purchase the car, and tell them you haven't gotten around to getting a new driver's license yet.

I assume you have your mail forwarded to FL?

• triciae
    16 years ago

Our primary domicile is NY but we also have a home in CT. Our DLs are issued in NY. We purchased three cars though in CT. The dealer arranged for them to be licensed in NY. Our auto insurance carrier would not insure them unless they were licensed in the same state of our DLs.

YMMV

Tricia

• xamsx
    16 years ago

Check with your local DMV. Some states require the registrant (not the owner) to have a DL in that state.

We have cars in NY and UT. Our legal residence is in NY and our DL are NY. We have purchased several cars in UT, registered and insured in UT. Geico is our insurance carrier for all our cars in both states but the UT policy is separate from the NY policy. This means the UT car doesn't receive a multi-car discount.

• pooks1976
    16 years ago

I don't know any laws pertaining to this, but I can tell you my experience.

My husband has registered cars in SC, DE, WI, and AR (not at the same time) all while having a drivers license in only MD.

• chisue
    16 years ago

Why do you want to do this? Do we presume some tax savings?

• redcurls
    Original Author
    16 years ago

No, there is no tax savings on the car. We legitimately spend more time in FL than in MD to qualify for Florida residency. FL has no income tax and that makes a difference when you are retired. We just don't want to have to buy the car in Florida and then have to drive it to Maryland. We keep a car in both locations and always fly back and forth.

We do not have to worry about forwarding mail because we have two adult children - not EXACTLY children---aged 36+) who live in another level of our Maryland home and take care of the house and family pets when we are not here.

I appreciate the replies. Thank you.

• jlhug
    16 years ago

Why not buy the car in MD but have it registered in FL? You don't have to have the car registered in the same state that you purchase it in?

• brickeyee
    16 years ago

In most states you have to register the car were it is garaged.
    There are exceptions for active duty military and temporary presence.

• chisue
    16 years ago

Yes, I'd title it in whichever state is cheaper, if that's permitted. (Is "whichever" a word?!) When we bought a car from a Michigan dealer we had to title it where we live, in Illinois. It cost a lot more in IL!

• Soo WoO
    last year

Hi original poster! Did you ever get your answer? I’m in a similar boat, but Maryland / Texas. Thanks!