Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rcbow8

Roof cleaning?

Sarah More
8 years ago

Not sure I am in the right forum. If not, please direct me.

We bought our 2-story, 2,000 sqft house new in 1991 and are planning to sell in the next few months. We have the original roof and do not plan to replace it.

While getting power washing quotes, one of the contractors quoted cleaning the roof at $585. I do believe he is offering a low-pressure wash, but need to confirm if we are really interested.

Given the age of the roof, I hesitate to even touch it. I know it would add to curb appeal, but...

I would appreciate any thoughts.

Comments (12)

• User
    8 years ago

what millworkman said.

Sarah More thanked User
  • jrb451
    8 years ago

X3

Sarah More thanked jrb451
  • chisue
    8 years ago

What's on the roof? Algae? There are products you spray on with a garden hose. Subsequent rain washes off the algae and dirt, but it won't happen instantly.

Sarah More thanked chisue
  • Sarah More
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks for your comments. We get plenty of sun during the day so I don't think it's algae. It's just an old roof and showing its age (like me :-)).

Chisue, I have heard of the products you are speaking about. I am not sure what the contractor plans (would need to verify). For that amount of money I would certainly expect it to be easy on the roof.

I am thinking I will pass on this service and see how it goes. I just don't want to take the risk of making a bad thing worse.

Thanks, again.

• cpartist
    8 years ago

Sarah, just know that any buyer is going to expect a discount for the roof even if you price it lower to account for the roof. My ex and I had that with our old house that we sold a few years ago. Our roof was about the same age as yours and we had to give the buyers a $15,000 discount for the old roof.

Sarah More thanked cpartist
  • User
    8 years ago

It all depends. Cross bridges when you come to them. I once sold a house with s completely trashed roof in a week for asking.

Sarah More thanked User
  • handmethathammer
    8 years ago

I have never heard of cleaning a roof. I'd pass on this as well, but be biting nails at inspection time.

Sarah More thanked handmethathammer
  • kirkhall
    8 years ago

You've never heard of cleaning a roof? Must not live in moss country.

Sarah More thanked kirkhall
  • graywings123
    8 years ago

I would try spraying on this stuff - Spray and Forget. I sprayed it on some plastic railing that had mold and it did a pretty good job:
    Spray and Forget

Sarah More thanked graywings123
  • User
    8 years ago

Never heard of cleaning a roof? Think Cedar Shakes in Washington State. ;-)

Sarah More thanked User
  • laiba kayani
    8 months ago

Can you explain the role of labor costs in determining the total price of a roofing project, and how can homeowners estimate these costs?