Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ekbell67

House with many steps to the front door

St561 W
7 years ago

Would you buy a house that sits higher than the street so there are 10-12 steps to the front door from the driveway? Saw a lovely house but I am not sure about the steps. Because it sits higher it is more private and has nicer views. And I am "young" with grown children so steps are not an issue for me at all. .. But I am concerned about resale.

Comments (20)

• St561 W
    Original Author
    7 years ago

The front steps would be something like this and there is no elevator from the garage to the first floor of the house.

Green Meadow · More Info

• User
    7 years ago

No, I wouldn't buy it. Just thinking about schlepping my groceries and more up all those steps would put me off.

I like being able to walk into my garage and right into the kitchen. Makes unloading easy.

St561 W thanked User
  • User
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Wouldn't bother me.

• chispa
    7 years ago

It would be more of a negative in a snowy/icy climate.

• cpartist
    7 years ago

Where is it? Do the other houses in the neighborhood also have steep steps?

• User
    7 years ago

A long time ago a friend bought a "raised ranch" like this:

The living area is on the second story. So he installed a dumbwaiter from the garage to the kitchen. He placed the groceries in the dumbwaiter and met them upstairs.

• cpartist
    7 years ago

In flood areas you can't build living space on the first floor and in some areas you have to build up to 12' off the ground.

• handmethathammer
    7 years ago

If I was on a flood plain or it was otherwise beneficial to elevate the house, I would definitely buy a house like that. But otherwise, no. We have friends and family with mobility issues and they wouldn't be able to get in our house. The issue was so much on our minds when looking three years ago, that we considered building and having zero entry doors.

Do you have to climb them to get in the house? Is there easier entry through the garage?

• OttawaGardener
    7 years ago

As chispa said, it would be a major negative in a snowy climate. I can't imagine trying to keep a set of stairs free of snow and ice!

Also, I never want to sell our home, and having just a step to the front door means I'd be ok if I ended up with knee or hip problems. Big set of stairs? I wouldn't be able to get my mother and her walker in the house now.

• OttawaGardener
    7 years ago

It is amusing to note that Montreal has numerous exterior staircases and a wintry climate. These go back centuries, although it is the norm for even new low-rises to have exterior staircases! Montreal exterior staircases

• jrb451
    7 years ago

We lived for 20 years in a split level home with a garage underneath. It was 15 steps into the house from there. It wasn't a bother because we were in our 30s but it was a concern as we grew older. We sold it and bought a home where all the living area and garage are on the same level for our "forever" home.

St561 W thanked jrb451
  • highdesertowl
    7 years ago

I can't speak to resale; but we purchased our 2nd story living home two years ago; and love it. We did note at the time that once a week we would be hauling groceries or suitcases up, but it wasn't a deterrent for us. (Age, late 40's, kids all teenage and older) That being said, I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE having our main living on the second floor. There is so much light! Our kitchen, living room, laundry, 2 baths, main bedroom, office, plus 2 other bedrooms are on the main (upper level), with another family room, storage, bedrooms, and bath on walkout lower level. So we basically live upstairs, and have the lower level in play when the older kids return home, have friends over, etc.

I get a false sense of security with the main bedroom on the second floor--in that I don't feel like anyone can just hop through my window at night. Another unexpected perk is that the floors are always warm in winter; as the rising air from the lower level; insulates and warms them--no radiant heat needed :) The view is one floor loftier too! Which, for some reason, makes a difference and is awesome. And can I just emphasize the natural light one more time--so beautiful. We do get a lot of snow in the winter here; however our steps face south, and the desert sun melts that snow off quickly--so if winter is a consideration; consider which direction your steps are facing.

There will always be buyers that are looking for one level living. But I think there will also always be many buyers that will take the 10-12 steps into consideration, as we did, but still buy because of all the pros of main level living, upstairs.

St561 W thanked highdesertowl
  • rockybird
    7 years ago

The potential views and privacy would out weigh the stairs to me. If you are still young, it is just extra exercise anyway.

St561 W thanked rockybird
  • User
    7 years ago

So, arrive home from the grocery store with the van filled with thirty bags of groceries. Oh, did I mention it is pouring rain?

How does that work?

Later on, your husband returns home with the twin toddlers. It's still raining. lol

• 3katz4me
    7 years ago

All fine for you but I would consider who you may have as visitors during the time you plan to live in this house and will they be able to navigate stairs. We just moved out of a house after 23 years that had a long walkway of stairs to the front door - not steep like these. We rarely used the front door in the winter because with melting and freezing it became an ice slick hazard and we didn't want to ruin the exposed aggregate with chemicals. I was seriously concerned that some delivery person would slip on the ice and sue us.

So everyone we knew came in through the garage through the back door on the lower level in the winter. We carried our groceries, luggage, etc. up from below - not such a big deal. The biggest problem was when the aging parent became wheelchair bound and had to be carried upstairs to the living area by the aging children. We did that for eleven years.

Based on my experience I would probably not choose a house like you have pictured.

St561 W thanked 3katz4me
  • eld6161
    7 years ago

It all depends if this is the norm for your area. If there are equal choices out there with less front stairs, I would be inclined to look else where.

If you are a "view" person, than that might tip the scales.

St561 W thanked eld6161
  • St561 W
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you all for your responses. All very helpful. We live in the northeast where we get our fair share of snow. If I lived in that house, I would go through the garage to go up and down to & from the house. (Garage is on the street level). As for other homes in our area, less than 10% of homes have steps and I know they don't sell as well. Such a hard decision!

• User
    7 years ago

My bad, I read you had no elevator from the basement to the first floor and somehow figured there was no stairs.

I don't see the stairs as a big deal. I'm in a 4BR Colonial right now. I pull the car into the garage and unload groceries there... why would I bring thenm thru the front door during inclement weather?

St561 W thanked User
  • HU-970832287
    last year

You just put a driveway in up to house level.

We did and increased house value twofold.