Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stephanie_b25

Selling Our Home

Stephanie B
last year

Our house is in great little community, per sq ft is priced below other houses in the neighborhood. It’s got fairly new roof, water heater, windows, hot tub, and master shower. No grass is a bummer. We lost it all during a freeze and then with 3 dogs it just never grew back. What can I do to help us get showings?
We are tight on funds so looking for budget friendly tips.

Comments (13)

• littlebug Zone 5 Missouri
    last year

Well it’s hard to say.

The two pictures you show of the interior look clean and uncluttered. Have you had showings? Inquiries? Offers? How‘s the neighborhood? Traffic? Schools? Crime rate?

No offense intended but I have no way of knowing this - does the inside smell of pets or smoking? I am not a dog-lover or smoker and those odors would stop me in my tracks. Again, no offense intended.

• Louise Smith
    last year

has your agent listed it on MLS? Are there other homes in the neighborhood for sale, and if so, are they getting showings?

The market has changed dramatically since last year, or even a few months ago. Many potential buyers have been wiped out by the stock market and the rising mortgage rates. Their savings and downpayment have declines while required monthly payments have increased.

" November 2022: The average APR rose on a 30-year fixed mortgage today, inching up to 7.43% from 7.28%. Meanwhile, the average APR on the 15-year fixed mortgage is 6.56%. This same time last week, the 15-year fixed-rate mortgage APR was at 6.44%. Rates are quoted as APR.

November 2021: The average 30-year mortgage rate is 3.307%, "

• Stephanie B
    Original Author
    last year

We are doing an open house this weekend. Maybe that will provide some feedback as our small neighborhood is pretty popular. There is one other house for sale in our neighborhood, it is a lot more updated but the want 60k more than what we are asking.

• Stephanie B
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you. Very little crime in our area. Smells maybe. 🤔 Have dogs and a toddler! Lol. I’m hoping the feedback is something we can afford to fix.

• P.D. Schlitz
    last year

I agree with others, looks like a very nice home and I am surprised you’re not getting showings. If I were selling your house, the things I might continue chipping away at to increase marketability: (1) staging— the main living area looks pretty sparsely furnished overall, but the furniture you do have has a lot of visual weight to it (eg it is large, bulky, looks to be blocking half of a large window, and the color of sofa doesn’t blend too well with the other colors in the room). If you could bring in a lighter-colored non-sectional sofa with a chair or two, rug, and maybe a dining table (as I’m guessing that’s what the chandelier is for?) it might help. (2) I like the rocks and boulders throughout the yard but I think you could edit the collection down a bit. From the angle of the pictures you posted, it’s not clear what some of the design intent is (am guessing the loss of grass contributed to this) and if you were to remove some of the lines it might help open up the space a little and feel less cluttered. Your shrubs and trees and their placement are great. It wouldn’t hurt to add some more foundation plantings but I’m not sure that would be worth the time or effort. Good luck with your open house and home sale!

• Stephanie B
    Original Author
    last year

Appreciate feedback. Unfortunately we searched high and low for a tan sectional that my very tall sig other fit on and found none in our budget. Because I totally agree-my last couch was tan and looked great in here! We did have a dining table there but 2 chairs broke recently and the one we ordered is out of stock. Luckily all our furniture will be out by Monday so maybe we can add some photos to the listing after they are gone.

• Susie .
    last year

Interest rate hikes continue to take buyers out of the market. I am trying to sell some places now and it’s been depressing. One realtor told us she had a client who was pre approved for a $400k loan a few months ago, but is down to $180k after rate increases. 😲 We dropped the price and offered money to help buy down the loan. We are under contract after that, but are considerably below what we expected to get two months ago. Ask your agent if the current price is best for the current market. If you are not getting showings, it’s likely price.

Staging almost always helps. Sometimes your agent will pay for it or share the cost with you. Many times, they can work with what you have. If you’re getting showings but no offers, ask what feedback buyers are giving - can take action based on that. Look at your competition, or what has sold in your neighborhood. How do you compare?

Good luck. It’s a tough time, but I’m sure you can make a course correction and find a buyer soon.

• Stephanie B
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks Susie. We did put on market about 35k less than my neighbors (with same layout) did just two months to try to make it more on same playing field.
    I’m going to definitely look into staging if we don’t get any showings or offers by next week. We already bought out other house so need this one sold asap!

• HU-765755942
    last year

Instead of replacing the dark sofa, break up the darkness with light pillows and a throw maybe.

• rockybird
    last year

I know the biggest issue is the market right now, but would it help to reposition the sofa so it's not against the window?

• elcieg
    last year
    last modified: last year

Hope you have had a couple of offers and that any suggestions aren't needed. I have three:

wood chips for the yard:

and an inexpensive 8 x 10 rug for the living room. Get at least the front legs on the rug, and pull the piece away from the wall.

And buy something to put under the chandelier so that buyers get the idea that there is a dining room in the mix.

• Stephanie B
    Original Author
    last year

We ended up with a decent amount of showings but no offers yet, we just moved out but I’ll definitely look into adding those wood chips!