Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
toronto_veterinarian

scottsdale housing market seasonality?

In the next 4-8 months I will need to sell a house in Scottsdale, AZ as part of the dissolution of the estate of a distant relative. Are there better or worse seasons for selling a home in the Scottsdale Ranch Community in SE Scottsdale? Is spring better than summer or fall, for instance? It never struck me as much of a family-kids-school kind of location, so I don't know if the school year seasonality is at play.

Comments (8)

• sushipup2
    last year

You get a lot more people in the Phoenix area in the winter, snowbirds from colder climes. I'd look to get the house on the market before that big football game when there will be plenty of out-of-towners enchanted by the wonderful weather, and thinking of buying a second home. Mddle of the summer, not a lot of activity.

• Toronto Veterinarian
    Original Author
    last year

" that big football game "

What game is that? I pay no attention to pro sports.

• PRO
    Janice F Glavan PLLC
    last year

I’m a Scottsdale Realtor. Scottsdale Ranch has alot of second home buyers. Spring Training brings in many Chicago and Canadian buyers looking for a winter home. Open Houses are flooded with these buyers during March. Having said that, it’s Scottsdale and I’ve sold houses in Scottsdale Ranch in November.

• sushipup2
    last year

TV, the Superbowl will be played in Glendale on 2/12. All the smaller cities just flow together into one large massive Phoenix area. Scottsdale and Paradise Valley are at the top of the economic scale. My parents lived in Scottsdale for many years. Janice is right, the spring training games bring in lots of visitors. But the summer heat can be brutal, and I'd expect the second-home market might be slower then. By October/November, things should get busier.

• kevin9408
    last year

I don't accept the Idea there is a best or worst time to list a home, any time is good and all you're looking for is one buyer. This timing myth reduces inventory on the market as people wait for select seasons but people are looking to buy year round, so list it when you are ready and don't wait for a season.

Something to consider as a Canadian citizen, (but the sky isn't falling) is the recent decision by the Saudi's to discuss eliminating the petrodollar requirement to buy oil and accept other currencies. If they drop the petrodollar requirement the US dollar ($USD) value would instantly drop on the currency markets a bit by the news, with the $USD value continuing to slip over time.

If this happens and you sold the house in the United States 6 or 8 months later and receiving $USD for the house wouldn't you then need to exchange the $USD for $CAD? There is a chance you'd loose value in the transaction vs selling the house when you can looking for that one buyer. Just something to consider, you can't time the housing market any better then timing the stock market. I'm seriously considering a trip to Canada to open a few bank accounts after I'm done with my due diligence on the subject.

A little more on the petrodollar. If the Saudi's change their currency policy other countries who buy Saudi oil will no long need to hold $USD. These dollars will return to the United States and the $USD supply will increase, and so will inflation beyond what our present government has already caused. It's not a good mix for the future, or holding $USD.

• summersrhythm_z6a
    last year

You could also hire a property manager to rent the place out.

• Toronto Veterinarian
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks, sushipup - I thought the Super Bowl was always in January. As I said, I don't follow pro sports ;)