Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
leftontheinside76

Upper US - Carpet or Hard Surface in Bedrooms?

leftontheinside
7 months ago

Putting cost aside for a moment what flooring material do you prefer to have in your bedrooms?

Buyers/owners in my area expect to see carpet so if a hard surface is there and they prefer hard surface then you have a win. But if there was carpet there you neutralize those that prefer hard surface since they expect to see carpet but then you capture those that prefer carpet as they expect it. Its actually quite rare to see bedrooms with hard surfacing in the upper midwest.

Carpet in bedrooms
Hard surface like hardwood or LVP in bedrooms

Comments (28)

• lyfia
    7 months ago

I prefer no carpet anywhere in the house as well. Rugs can always be added as needed.

leftontheinside thanked lyfia
  • bpath
    7 months ago

I’m in Northern IL and prefer carpet in bedrooms.

leftontheinside thanked bpath
  • AnnKH
    7 months ago

I've always had carpet in bedrooms, but if I was looking at a house that had lovely hardwood in the bedrooms, I would NOT complain!

leftontheinside thanked AnnKH
  • bpath
    7 months ago

I certainly would not turn down a house with hardwood bedrooms.

leftontheinside thanked bpath
  • PRO
    G & S Floor Service
    7 months ago

Use hardwood in bedrooms, then lay a rug over it. Rugs can be changed out as interior design changes.

leftontheinside thanked G & S Floor Service
  • roarah
    7 months ago

Hardwood though out is dominant in our existing and new home market. Bedrooms usually do have large area rugs however because Connecticut winters are chilly.

leftontheinside thanked roarah
  • rwiegand
    7 months ago

Hardwood with rugs that can be sent out for prper cleaning as needed. After tearing out wall to wall carpet the first couple of times I realized how disgustingly filthy it became, even with regular cleaning.

leftontheinside thanked rwiegand
  • leftontheinside
    Original Author
    7 months ago

InterInteresting mix of votes thus far - plenty of closet carpet lovers

• Susie .
    7 months ago

I’m torn on this one. As I age, it’s nice to have a soft surface in the bedroom, but I love the look and maintenance of hardwood. We have hardwood with an area rug in our bedroom. Our intention was to have carpet, but the builder “forgot” and had hardwood installed. I’m actually more happy than not about it. I also think it depends on the carpet.

leftontheinside thanked Susie .
  • mxk3 z5b_MI
    7 months ago

No carpet in the house anywhere. I don't care for rugs much, either, but concede they have their place like in front of the door or the kitchen sink.

leftontheinside thanked mxk3 z5b_MI
  • Iluvdark kychns
    7 months ago

I would prefer to have hardwoods or lvp upstairs, but not so strongly like some people here who make it seem like the worst thing ever. ( Really? It's not that big of a deal) For me it's only a slight preference to have hardwoods upstairs but not enough to justify the cost. Since you are setting cost aside then yes hardwoods all the way. I am in PNW.

leftontheinside thanked Iluvdark kychns
  • PRO
    Bergen Furniture & Design
    7 months ago

In your situation, it makes sense to consider local expectations and preferences. Carpet is a common choice for bedrooms in the upper Midwest due to its comfort and warmth. It's a safe bet for attracting potential buyers or meeting their expectations. However, if cost isn't a concern, you might want to explore options like hardwood or laminate flooring, which can add an elegant touch to bedrooms and still appeal to those who prefer hard surfaces. Ultimately, it depends on your goals as a homeowner or seller and the local market's expectations.

leftontheinside thanked Bergen Furniture & Design
  • Louise Smith
    7 months ago

Hardwood floors with a large rug.

leftontheinside thanked Louise Smith
  • 3katz4me
    7 months ago

I'm in MN and I prefer no carpet anywhere. Rugs can be added and as mentioned above, properly cleaned. it's much easier to thoroughly clean hard surface under a bed vs carpet. Hard surfaces are preferred by people with asthma/allergies.

leftontheinside thanked 3katz4me
  • cpartist
    7 months ago

As an allergic person, no carpet.

In fact if a house I was looking at had carpet in the bedroom, that would be a big negative to me.

leftontheinside thanked cpartist
  • worthy
    7 months ago
    last modified: 7 months ago

What y'all got against carpet beetles? I prefer tile and stone over wood in public rooms.

leftontheinside thanked worthy
  • elcieg
    6 months ago

Our downsize: installed 100% wool in the bedrooms and lower level. Wool is premier, yes, but then you get a puppy. "Nuff said. I've spent some time investigating what other options there are.

I think I have decided on a synthetic sisal, installed wall to wall with a good waterproof pad underneath, made of quality nylon, it is soft and warmer than hardwood, choice of colors are many, choice of patterns are varied.

The rest of the public area floor is porcelain.

https://www.sisalcarpet.com/rugs/langley

leftontheinside thanked elcieg
  • Belahn
    6 months ago

I like carpet in the bedroom. I don't have it here and use rugs, but next house will have carpet. I like to walk around the bedroom barefoot and hate the feel of hard floors on bare feet. In the rest of the house I have to wear slippers.

leftontheinside thanked Belahn
  • btydrvn
    6 months ago

If you plan on being in your home a long time..area rugs will be able to be replaced easily as you make changes in your home..wall to wall not so much…if you have an open floor plan… area rugs define the spaces better…but stick with substantial materials like wool tufted rugs that won’t move or gather up when walked on..they spot clean very easily if/when needed…not sure whether the waterproof pad is a positive thing🤷🏻‍♀️..will that make any spills pool beneath the rug?..and isn’t it a little rough textured..to walk on?…barefoot for instance..it looks like a little it of a trip hazard as well?

leftontheinside thanked btydrvn
  • btydrvn
    6 months ago

Another good point…. hardwood is forever…carpet…not so much..tho’ we have LVP..for practical reasons…it has served us well for more than 25 years…no complaints…unbelievably low maintenance..still looks perfect ..almost impossible to damage it🤷🏻‍♀️

leftontheinside thanked btydrvn
  • nancylouise5me
    6 months ago

No carpeting anywhere in our home, We have original hardwood floors (house built in the mid 1800's) in our home. We use smaller sized oriental rugs in the bedrooms. just enough to put our feet on in the morning when getting out of bed.

leftontheinside thanked nancylouise5me
  • chisue
    6 months ago

Hardwood is more expensive, and it's a 'plus' when selling. Area rugs would be cleaner, provided you send them out to be washed. When Junior has the flu and is sick on the floor, you only need that rug cleaned, not the whole room. There is no way to get carpeting as clean as a washed rug. You can buy decent all-wool rugs for less then wool carpeting for the whole room.

leftontheinside thanked chisue
  • leftontheinside
    Original Author
    6 months ago

Good hardwood in our market is $15-$18 a sqft minimum installed. if your want a wider plank you‘re close to $25 sqft.

Think about a modest sized 2200 sqft home is going to need 1800 sqft. $45,000 for flooring - who can afford that?

I haven’t seen a new home built with hardwood under $1M since 2017. its a shame its so expensive.

• T T
    6 months ago

I'll go against the grain and note that I prefer carpet in bedrooms. It's more comfortable and has a cozier feel. Bedrooms with hard surfaces can echo a bit and just feels colder or more stark to me.

leftontheinside thanked T T
  • justhighstone
    6 months ago

In the Upper US, the choice between carpet and hard surface flooring in bedrooms depends on climate, personal preference, and practical needs. Carpet offers warmth and comfort, while hard surfaces are easier to maintain, more suitable for allergies, and durable. Consider your climate, lifestyle, and budget to make the best choice for your specific needs.

leftontheinside thanked justhighstone
  • HU-596959959
    6 months ago

If you're looking for a long-term investment and are planning on staying in your home for years to come, you may want to choose hardwood since it's durable, long-lasting, and won't need to be replaced anytime soon. If you're looking to save money on your flooring costs, going with carpet might be your ideal choice.

leftontheinside thanked HU-596959959
  • sushipup2
    6 months ago

Following "HU-596959959"