Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bichonbabe

How many houses have you built ?

bichonbabe
2 months ago

I've built three. Two production homes and one custom.

First production home was over 30 years ago. It cost $140k and we were so afraid it was too expensive ! Could not afford any of the upgrades and I cried went I went to the lighting store with my $1000 allowance. Had to put boob lights almost everywhere. Lived there for 8 years and I was so proud of that nice, brand new home !

Second production home was a much more upscale house. We were able to afford most of the upgrades we wanted. Lived there for over 10 years. And learned a bit more about the building process. Loved that home too.

Third house was a custom build. Probably closest to my "dream home". Took almost 3 years to build and went 100% over budget and I'm very glad we were able to afford to do so. We still live there but it was a stressful time and not sure I would ever build again. My husband is in commercial construction and it was still a learning process.

Last year , we purchased a "used" house on the ocean to spend our winters. Although its a bit dated and maybe not exactly my taste, I find it doesn't bother me as the ocean view is all that really matters to me at this point in my life.

What about you? How many homes have you built?

Comments (23)

• cpartist
    2 months ago

One and it was more than enough although I love it because it's 99% what we wanted and needed. It was a custom design.

• enajasereht
    2 months ago

One and one was enough. Tried to keep in mind the aging in place thing. Same floors throughout, no thresholds, curbless shower. It's not too big and the main floor has our bedroom. It's just the two of us until summer when we get some family visits. There are two guest rooms and a bath downstairs. All in all it went smoothly and we didn't over spend.

• David Cary
    2 months ago

Production 25 years ago. Used house for 3 years. Custom 15 years ago. Beach custom 12 years ago - just sold. Custom 5 years ago - living in.

Last one was the worst process. But end result the best.

Not sure I have another one in me - but I am very picky about some things. Once you have custom, it is pretty hard to back track. And we aren't staying where we are for much longer...

• arcy_gw
    2 months ago

NONE--and I would NEVER. Got close once but the evening before we signed the contract the realtor found a home that checked enough of our boxes we RAN from the headaches/heartaches of building. Too many people I know have built and no way would I wish any of it on anyone!!!

• jackowskib
    2 months ago
    last modified: 2 months ago

Built two, one was a cape cod modular that was built in the 90's, loved it more because it sat on 10 acres located in the north. Basic grade stuff back then so we ripped out all the moulding and flooring and did most of the work ourselves. Would love to do that one again. Next one (our current) is a production home in the south, single story ranch in a subdivision we did for aging in place. I will never adjust to this kind of setting after being spoiled with having had more land and no HOA!

• vinmarks
    2 months ago

2 houses and a town house. With the town house there were few choices and we made no upgrades. We were in our 20’s and really had no clue what we were doing. It turned out fine. We lived there 3 years. 2nd house we built was 3800sq ft custom and we were owner builder with help from a contractor friend who lived right around the corner from our lot. I actually really enjoyed that build. Lived there 15 years. Our 3rd build was semi custom log cabin which we are currently living in. Did not really enjoy the build. There were issues. They did get resolved. We love our cabin. Will this be our last? I do not know. I don’t think I would want to build again. I have no patience left.

• likestonehomes
    2 months ago

We built 2 production homes and remodelled 4 in both USA and canada. I much prefer fixing up as opposed to buying and living with someone else’s tastes. We are now in our forever home…well maybe for now!

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    2 months ago

Never built from scartch but renovated a few that is actually my passion much more thna a new build . I love homes with ahistory and sometimes afew quirks it makes me happy when the job is done either for myself or my clients.

• Architectrunnerguy
    2 months ago

Three custom houses including a teardown built on the same foundation. And we're currently adding on to the one we live in now.

I enjoy it and it gives me the valuable perspective gained from spending my own money on a building project.

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    2 months ago

One semi-custom from a design/build company in a vacation area. We still have it and have renovated/added on through the years. I love the planning but the building process is so painful and slow. Also have renovated our 1920s main home many times.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    2 months ago

I designed and built a chicken coop, does that count?

• Longbranchstitch
    2 months ago

We built two homes - one a production home when we were in our early twenties (decades ago). Lived there 15 years. Second one we built right before we retired. Full custom. Lived there 14 years. Moved states two years ago and husband wanted to build again. I told him he and his next wife could build but this wife was done. It was an amazing experience both times but fraught with stress and way over budget second time around.

• chispa
    2 months ago
    last modified: 2 months ago

Learned a bit about remodeling when my parents remodeled the the first home they owned, which included kitchen, bathrooms, converting unfinished attic to a suite, outdoor covered patio, hardscape, landscape.

My parents have built 4 production homes with large national builders. One was a townhome and the others single family homes. I didn't live in those homes, but had a front seat view of the whole process.

My first house: just minor cosmetic updates inside and repainting exterior (didn't stay long enough to do more).

Second house: minor cosmetic updates inside, repainting exterior and fixing some rotting wood, and major outdoor hardscape/patio project (didn't stay long enough to do more).

Third house: Major remodels over 10 years that included designing (with architect) and building a 1,600 sq/ft guest house w/ 1-bedroom, 1-bathroom, 3-car garage and basement, major hardscape/landscape/driveway remodel (included dealing with retaining walls), full kitchen remodel, full remodel of 5 bathrooms, pergola rebuild, in-ground spa rebuild, replacing large amounts of floor tile, refinishing wood floors, designing driveway entry gates, repainting exterior stucco, designing 4 custom garage doors, repairing clay roof tiles, adding drainage for water management, dealing with 2 small water leaks (one plumbing and the other skylight/roof). Spent a lot of time in showrooms and design centers . Had just gotten it perfect when we decided to move!

Fourth house: custom new build that is our retirement home. Designed the home with an architect, personally picked every single component/finish/fixture for the home and decorated the home. Had to deal with a petty HOA, which was the only bad part of the build. The build was during covid and we went way over the initial budget estimate. Also included a pool design and build.

I think I've been exposed to a pretty good variety of building and home improvement projects over the years!

• deegw
    2 months ago

One production, one extensive remodel, and four others that needed lots of cosmetic updates.

• pennfire
    2 months ago

MY father was a home builder so I have experience from there (helping him) as well as working with builders in a post college career. For those reasons, I flatly refused to humor my husband by agreeing to build a house.

We survived three extensive (as in down to the studs) remodelling projects.

• Caroline Hamilton
    2 months ago

One completely custom. We purchased land, found an amazing architect, designed our dream house and we are still here 25 years later! Although we have remodeled kitchens, baths and finishes over the years, the layout of the home remains the same. To me, this is proof that a properly designed home is one you will enjoy for many many years!

We have extensively remodeled (down to the studs) four second homes. Loved the projects, but would love to build another home from scratch again should we ever decide to move from this area.

• worthy
    last month

Not counting those built purely for business, into our fifth now in the Greater Toronto Area.

Our next move will be the 26th, I think, in the last half century.

I figure if I keep moving, the Grim Reaper may miss me!

• moosemac
    last month

One custom that went over budget that many items never got completed. We would never be able to get an occupancy permit or mortgage now but back then the was siding, trim and flooring got added a couple years after we moved in.

One gut job right to the studs. We had no money so it was plain jane with the cheapest finishes.

Two current ongoing renovations, we have been doing one room at a time.

I have the architect and engineering plans for a full custom build. We were ready to start construction when I lost my job so we cancelled the project. It was fortuitous because that house would be way too big and expensive for us now.

If I were not working, I would take it on a full custom build but we are happy where we are.

• Mary Elizabeth
    last month

I've never really wanted to build.

One son & DIL did, with her father as the builder/contractor. Too many issues, delays, and cost over runs, and then having to cut corners to remedy that. Just NOT worth the stress.

In 50 years of marriage, we've done a complete remodel of 3 homes. The first was over 100 years old; the second was a custom built ranch that we completely re-did, plus an addition and in-ground pool; and our current home - a 6K sq ft, 3 story, built in 1965 on a perfect lake lot.

Our estimate for the remodel was 5 years. It's the start of year 12, and all but the kitchen should be done by fall. (The well laid plans of mice & men!)

Next door neighbors are preparing for a full tear down and new build. Preliminary build estimates for them are over $2.5 million (and rising).

• PRO
    Kristin Petro Interiors, Inc.
    last month

I've gut remodeled two houses for myself and have designed almost 60 new builds for clients. I would like to say I've seen it all, but I seem to still be surprised...

• JP Haus
    last month

Four production builder homes, two custom homes, three remodels, and four with only minor projects. Our current, and perhaps last, home was a scrape and rebuild project that went well over budget and had numerous issues thanks mainly to a builder who failed to adequately communicate with or supervise his subs. We recently discovered serious electrical problems that had to be corrected at considerable expense. If we should ever move, I don't think we'll have it in us to build again.

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    last month

None.