Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loves2read

Any brand of add-in rollout shelves better/worse???

loves2read
last month

We are having house built—production, not custom. There are bottom cabinets vs drawers. Want to add roll-out shelves after market. Any particular brand that is better/worse? How tall should be sides be? Had cabs w/roll out shelves in another kitchen and they worked fine but kitchen was more custom in that house.

The cabinets in new house are Timberlake Sonoma Linen—an upgrade over builder standard, but right now I don’t remember if the interior is linen or natural. I added drawers under the electric cooktop and a bank of 3 drawers on sink island to hold dishes (vs upper cabinets) and flatware.

I know outfitting with roll out shelves is little more clunky than just drawers but didn’t want to pay for upgrade.

Comments (8)

• AnnKH
    last month

We bought a house 2 years ago that had base cabinets. Before we even moved in I added Rev A Shelf pullouts. I like that the door is attached to the bottom pullout, so it acts like a drawer - but on a scale of 1 to 10, a drawer is a 10 and what I have is a 6. Roll out shelves behind a door are a 4.

My Mom put roll outs in one kitchen cabinet in the home she and Dad built in 1977. Both cabinet doors needed to open to pull out the shelves. In 40 years in that home, I'll bet those things were pulled out less than 50 times.

Think about the value that drawers will provide for the next 30 years in the home. Is there another place in the home you can cut back to pay for the drawers?

This is what I did:

Even though this kitchen is overall pretty functional, I am seriously considering new cabinets - and one of the big reasons is the lack of real drawers.

• dan1888
    last month

Upgrade to drawer base cabs. It'll go on the house price, not out-of-pocket.

• chicagoans
    last month
    last modified: 29 days ago

I’d price out pull outs from Rev-a-Shelf and compare to the cost of upgrading to all drawers. Pull outs are expensive and you may find that you’re not saving much (or anything) with pull outs, plus you’d be giving up the functionality of drawers.

• dan1888
    last month

If you go with drawers, make them wide, 36 minimum up to 48 where possible.

• PRO
    Minardi
    last month

Drawers would be a higher priority than roll outs. But, Timberlake is Waypoint is Shenendoah is American Woodmark. You should be able to order the manufacture assured fit roll outs from anyone that carries any of those brands.

• PRO
    Martin & Calloway LLC
    last month

I agree with chicagoans. If your pricing after market pull-outs, I would look into rev-a-shelf we have always been happy with their products. We are a cabinet shop and have installed tons of pull-outs. I would be very surprised if there is a significant savings vs having drawer base cabinets installed.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last month
    last modified: last month

Show the floor plan of the house: ) Please.

• anj_p
    last month

If you still have the option, pay for the upgrade. You won't regret it.

Rev-a-shelf otherwise, or the cabinet-brand specific roll outs another poster mentioned.

I have roll outs (similar situation in a production build and I didn't have a choice to upgrade to drawers). I have a 3 drawer stack in my island though, and that is heaven. The roll outs are fine (about 3' wide) so they store pots and pans, but definitely would have paid for drawers if I had the option.

Regarding the drawer stack on your island...consider where you will be prepping and where your DW is. It might be easier to store dishes in upper cabinets right across from the DW and use the island drawer stack for prep. Kind of depends on how much room you have next to the sink. Here is my island:

Dishes go in the cabinet & drawer right across from the DW (easy pivot).

3 drawer stack: top drawer is prep utensils.

Middle drawer is prep bowls. Bottom drawer is a bit of a mess right now but holds my large glass measuring bowl, my chopper, my hand mixer, and whatever my husband can't find a place for when he empties the DW (believe me, it has a place, he just can't be bothered to learn).

Drawer over trash holds all my spices.

I prep right over that drawer stack. It's amazing.