Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fishbis10

What to do with this kitchen!!!!

fishbis10
10 years ago
Need help with kitchen design

Looking for a functional kitchen, Help! 1927 tudor style home. Looking to totally gut and redo. I do not want to keep the cabinets for its not functional. Looking for a floor plan idea.

Comments (32)

• Brenda
    10 years ago
    can any of those walls come out to make it more open?
    fishbis10 thanked Brenda
  • fishbis10
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I don't think so for I would loose the character of the house! We thought about closing the one doorway by the sink that goes into the hallway.
  • Judy M
    10 years ago
    Any kitchen designers on here at the moment?
    fishbis10 thanked Judy M
  • Brenda
    10 years ago
    If you choose the right cabinetry and finishes, you won't be loosing the character of the home just by opening it up. Plus, you won't be stuck in a closed off tiny kitchen cooking while all your guests/family are in other rooms.
    fishbis10 thanked Brenda
  • mintygreenlove
    10 years ago
    omg the kitchen cabinets are gorg! good luck. Def. keep the character and don't open up any walls. What about a swinging door into the hallway??
    fishbis10 thanked mintygreenlove
  • PRO
    Cabinets To Go
    10 years ago
    Looks like a great space to work with! When it gets to that point, if you have any questions about cabinetry or would like to explore design options, feel free to reach out to us :) http://www.cabinetstogo.com/
  • fishbis10
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Well Im no pro so Im just waiting to hear all options. So far everyone feels I need to keep the cabinets. Id love to if only I could figure out the flow of the kitchen - HELP!!!!
  • User
    10 years ago
    Have you had a local design build firm out to your home yet? I live in a historic district and the local firms are very knowledgeable and in your case may have dealt with a similar layout/built ins.
  • Judy M
    10 years ago
    Yes, have someone work the existing cabinets into the design.
    Have you looked at a local kitchen place or looked for a pro near you on this site?
    They will make suggestions for layout.
    fishbis10 thanked Judy M
  • Kathleen
    10 years ago
    Love those cabinets! Great storage.
  • shakerjaebs
    10 years ago
    Love the cabinets and the hardware! Old houses have so much charm but don't always function well for our modern way of living. I wonder if you could take the cabinets down and re use them.

A previous homeowner removed several walls in my current home (1925) to update the kitchen. Thank goodness the foyer, dining room, living room and staircase are all in original condition. And, as much as I'm a HUGE fan of original features/layout, I love my open kitchen. Good luck! I can't wait to see what you do. (I'm living in my 2nd 1920s home. I totally know your pain!)
    fishbis10 thanked shakerjaebs
  • fishbis10
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks Mr Pro! I totally agree with the Butlers pantry idea! I guess I should mention that the old sink is going as well as everything in this kitchen. Already considered closing the doorway next to the current sink. Im looking for a layout as far as where to actually put it all to make it a functional kitchen. Any ideas on that?
  • fishbis10
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Please keep in mind Im open to all floor plans!! Not going to keep those cabinets!
  • Brenda
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    If you don't want to take down walls, then it's probably going to be a galley kitchen ... this plan widens the hallway opening and eliminates the one from the dining room (sorry, it posted sides ways, but if you click on it you can see the whole sketch)
    fishbis10 thanked Brenda
  • M B
    10 years ago
    I love it! Just like it is!!
    fishbis10 thanked M B
  • anchovy
    10 years ago
    those cabinets are gorgeous, I'd keep the cabinets and switch out the appliances for smaller ones. If you close off the door into the hall you could add more counterspace into that freed-up corner. If you have lots of money, some old fashioned Elmira Stoveworks appliances in black would be amazing, otherwise you could just go for black. You could also add some upper cabinets to the stove wall. Also, I would put in wood flooring.
    fishbis10 thanked anchovy
  • fishbis10
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Let me say it again, Im not looking to keep the cabinets. Im looking for a floor plan. I like you idea Brenda but this is only a 10x10 area. There is definitely no room for all that on the one wall. It will host either the range or the sink/dishwasher. Keep trying!! Thanks!!
  • Brenda
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    "definitely no room"??? ... did you do the math fishbis?

add up the appliance wall:
    24" sink, 24" DW, 30" range (all standard/available sizes), 18" trash, 12" & 18" drawer cabinets = 10' 6"

... which is exactly what your floor plan says you have room for ...
  • libradesigneye
    10 years ago
    fish bis - my floor plan will work for you and make a good work triangle. If you were my client I would make a few more modifications.

Closing door to front hall and opening to back hall is easy w header (could face w trim from closed off doors) and will make your kitchen more functional w/ door within. back landing incorporated. Can add 1/2 height swinging gate to protect lower stair. I am a contractor w/ 25 yrs commercial and residential experience. I would reuse/ rework existing lower cabinets and doors on window wall w new farmers sink and dishwasher, reuse/rework upper cabinets symmetrically on either side of new stainless range hood then add traditional painted cabinets in contrasting gray, green, blue-green or black depending on your decor and appliance budget for remaining cabinetry.

You would also be well served to shift door from dining to 3' off hall wall so it looked into ctr of range / edge at front of wall w/ frig and pantry cabinets can fill /shift refrigerator adj to front wall / doorway. You will still need some laydown countertop across that doorway on the existing cabinet wall, so should use remaining front /dining wall for shallow lower cabinets.

If it were my home, I would open the wall above this dining wall countertop (in wood plank for character) for the last 5 feet to the window wall, and hang square cabinets high with double sided glass doors from 6' or 6'8" to ceiling/header height. That would allow the countertop to be deeper, make the kitchen and dining room both seem larger because of sightlines, but preserve the traditional character of the home. however, you stated early you did not want to consider a more open plan, so I did not mention this option you might like to consider.
    fishbis10 thanked libradesigneye
  • gephillips
    10 years ago
    I absolutely love the cabinets but living in an old home myself I can appreciate how disfunctional the older kitchens are. If you cant keep the cabinets..I agree that you should definately sell them. Maybe there is a way to keep just a section of cabinet and repurpose it. Possibly as a hutch or buffet either in the kitchen or dining area. Keeping a small part of the original home.
    fishbis10 thanked gephillips
  • annmarie2
    10 years ago
    Remove doorway from kitchen to dining room
    slide hall doorway down (to the right) - this keeps access to hall and allows closer access to dining room.

Doing this allows you to have a U-shape or L-shape with sink under/near window, range on wall to dining room and refrigerator and tall pantry backing onto the staircase.
    fishbis10 thanked annmarie2
  • leelee
    10 years ago
    The placement of the knobs on the cabinets makes them too high to be useful. They should have been in the lower corners. Too bad, the cabinets are beautiful. Can you use them in a garage area?
    fishbis10 thanked leelee
  • PRO
    User
    10 years ago
    I would close off a doorway since those seem to be a big barrier when it comes to installing any type of cabinetry that will fit the space well, and then I would propose a L-shaped kitchen. This will get you a nice work triangle without sacrificing space or storage.
    fishbis10 thanked User
  • fishbis10
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    libradesigneye would you have any pics of what that would look like? Im not opposed to opening the wall but cant imagine it. That window is really lower than most. Im thinking its 24 in from the floor. Some great ideas to consider.
  • libradesigneye
    10 years ago
    Let me search Houzz kitchens for a similar connection and post - picture worth thousand words. Windows can be left to go below counter - seen it handled several ways - window / ventilation / light very valuable at sink. Can you tell me width of back landing vs. Exit door? Distance from dividing wall to same door?
  • libradesigneye
    10 years ago
    Here's a fine period example -
    Kitchen Remodel In Lake Oswego, Oregon · More Info
  • kathy
    10 years ago
    Judging by the photos, the trim at the bottom of your window seems to be at the same height as the counters on the current cabinets. If the cabinets are standard height (36") then you should be able to put a standard counter under them.

I would not close off doorways to diningroom or hallway. Dining room direct entry is too convenient to give up. Btut I might move them both, a little!

I'm guessing the current cabinets are about an 8' run?

I'm wondering if the key is to move the back entry to open into where your range currently is, ie door swings against stairwell wall. Then have your kitchen door also swing on to this wall; all the doors are out of the way. You've lost that wall, but we'll make up for it. The new entrance wouldn't wide enough, so the wall the back door is on now will have to come down, right to the window edge. I think that'll make your doorway wide enough. If yes, you can have an L-shape with current cabinet wall and under window.

Working down your sketch: Sink and dishwasher under window, corner cabinet then the rest of your cabinets, including the range. The fridge with a small pantry would be on hall entry wall between doors to hall and dining room (opposite window wall).

Or move the dining room door closer to window so that you have (moving right from window wall) about 5.5', then the doorway then about 2.5' of wall. This will close off a counter run along your hall entry wall. In this layout again sink and dishwasher under the window, turn the L with a short run. Then on the hall entry wall put fridge and range.

I hope this gives you an idea or two to work with.
  • fishbis10 thanked Brenda