Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meham09

Dining Room Help - Incorporating antique furniture into modern home

meham09
10 years ago
Hey Houzzers!
I'm new to this site and I'm looking for help decorating my dining room. I received a lovely antique dining set and sideboard from my aunt but I'm having trouble trying to figure out how it fits into our modern, open-concept town home. The dining area is open to the kitchen via a breakfast bar. I'm thinking that I need to get a nice, white chandelier and a mirror either above the hutch or on the other wall to open up the space. I'm stuck on what colour to paint (our living room is attached to the dining space: it's blue/grey/beige/light brown. The seats of the chairs are navy blue with a gold-ish accent and the handles on the hutch are blue and white.
Any and all help is greatly appreciated! I'm looking forward to hearing from you all :)
Thanks in advance!
PS - The pictures are: the living room wallpaper, the dining room set, the placement of the dining room in the house (with old dining set).

Comments (16)

• PRO
    essentials inside
    10 years ago
    Hi meham09! Can we also see the living room?

~Lyvonne
    meham09 thanked essentials inside
  • indianpatti
    10 years ago
    I would suggest having the chairs recovered in the darker shade of teal in your wallpaper; adding a modern, rectangular-shaped chandelier and a funky table runner to start:
    meham09 thanked indianpatti
  • yoboseiyo
    10 years ago
    you don't HAVE to have the sideboard in the same room as the dining set.

so you could use it in another room as a storage piece.
    like, if your place doesn't really have an entryway, you could put this near the door with a nice lamp, and a bowl or 2 for keys, change, etc, and you could store hats, gloves, scarves in it. even boots, if you put a boot tray in it to catch dirt and water.
    meham09 thanked yoboseiyo
  • karenht
    10 years ago
    Have this paper on one side of hallway with 3ikea paper hanging paper ball lights. The opposite Wallace grey with white trim, love the effect
    meham09 thanked karenht
  • killershot
    10 years ago
    You could always put the same wallpaper behind the sideboard, but only the width of the sideboard would have wallpaper on it. A suspension lamp with an oblong greige lampshade woul bring in a cool soft modern look to the room. The seats need to be re upholstered in a geometric pattern or plain greige color.
    meham09 thanked killershot
  • PRO
    Susan Berry Design, Inc.
    10 years ago
    Replace the chair fabric. It's very easy to do with a staple gun. You only need 3/4 of yard each. Replace the knobs with simple clear glass knobs from Home Depot or on-line. http://www.bing.com/shopping/emtek-86394us15a-pewter-bristol-bristol-1-diameter-crystal/p/A278436C7FC55CF25012?q=glass+cabinet+knobs+and+pulls+clearance&lpp=2&lppc=16&lpq=glass%2bcabinet%2bknobs%2band%2bpulls%2bclearance&FORM=CMSMEE
    meham09 thanked Susan Berry Design, Inc.
  • brickln
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    I would paint the two walls in the deeper shade of teal and cover the seating in cream. Dark knobs on the buffet. Modern light fixture and artwork.
    All décor should be modern. Remove the extra chairs if you can find space for them. Or keep the table set for 6 and place the buffet on the LR wall outside the dining area.
    Needs a rug, but I'm not sure what to suggest.
    The dining set would look awesome painted as judyg suggests, but get auntie's blessing first :)
    meham09 thanked brickln
  • meham09
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks everyone for your suggestions! I'll start looking for fabric and a chandelier and go from there. I'll definitely post the results :)
    Lyvonne, I have attached a picture of the living room for you.
    indianpatti, I love the idea of a modern runner!
    yoboseiyo, unfortunately I don't have a lot of options for moving the side board unless I use it as a TV stand in the living room which I don't think would be suitable...thanks for the suggestion though!
    killershot, more wallpaper is certainly something I could look into...do you think the exact same pattern and colour scheme or maybe same pattern but all blues or black/white/grey?
    Classical Home Design, Inc. by Susan Berry, I think you're right, I need to recover with a lighter, more modern fabric!
    judyg, I LOVE that blue chandelier! What a great idea! I don't think I'll paint the set at this point, the wood is too beautiful!
    brickln, thanks for all the ideas! I will keep all of them in mind.
  • indianpatti
    10 years ago
    Mehame, check out "wickedwalls" on etsy, she makes a lot of different, funky table runners. I have bought several things from her and happy with everything!
  • PRO
    essentials inside
    10 years ago
    meham09 -

This room made me think of yours.

City Living on the Hudson · More Info

~Lyvonne
    meham09 thanked essentials inside
  • meham09
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    That's awesome Lyvonne! Thank you for thinking of me :) I think I may have to do something very similar!
  • PRO
    essentials inside
    10 years ago
    You're welcome!

I love the chair cushions, the wall color and the mirror (but we sell that one so I'm predisposed).

Fantastic work by Gacek Design Group. Now I want that table & chairs for my kitchen.

~Lyvonne
  • PRO
    Tufenkian Artisan Carpets
    10 years ago
    @meham,

I came across the wallpaper picture and thought about a rug that we carry: http://www.tufenkianoutlet.com/p-4136-circle-branch-z90-232.aspx
    Not quite sure how it will look in the space, but though to suggest it, if you happen to look for a similar pattern.

Thank you
  • PRO
    ExclusiveMod Furniture
    9 years ago
    I've often found that painting antiques white gives it a more modern look.
  • bgfuqua
    9 years ago
    older post