Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
snobunyz24

design idea blank wall

snobunyz24
last month

Hello,

Looking for design ideas for our family room. We are keeping the couch and tv stand. I need some
Serious storage for kids toys so I will need to have some sort of book shelf Or cabinet.

h ow would you suggest using the space behind the couch? One large piece of art or multiple? Areas to left/right of TV stand? My poor plant is struggling and I'm not sure it will make it.

Comments (25)

• snobunyz24
    Original Author
    last month

Our couch is currently about a foot off the back wall- not pushed up against it as it may look. It is centered across from the tv wall, however it is not centered on its own wall w the window- as that is a lot longer wall that goes to the front door where's the tv wall opens up into the dining room/kitchen

• kazzh
    29 days ago

Things can look a little more intentional if the book case is able to be relocated, possibly to this end of the room. The TV unit is lovely and, once the bookcase leaves that end of the room, the unit could slide down a little further. your end table on this end could be swapped to the sofa end on the far wall. If you have another end table, or are able to purchase another, then it would be great to set up another with a lamp again on this end. Not being able to see this end of the room kinda limits the suggestions but hopefully there might be room for a the bookcase and maybe another either side of the entry. Baskets on the bookcase might be a little neater for toy storage.

• jck910
    29 days ago

Agree ^^^^^^^ the bookcase is throwing that wall off by its height and too dark color. The end table is too large. Smaller ones on each end, possibly glass on a black metal frame to complement the coffee. Get a large basket for each child to store some toys and keep the rest in their rooms. Large colorful canvas art on the wall. TV stand is great size. Once the too large end table is moved out you can center the sectional on the window and TV centered on it.

• kandrewspa
    29 days ago

Can you switch the sectional so the shorter end is on the opposite side (where the table and lamp are now)? Then the end wall could be all storage. Anything tall next to your TV console is going to look out of place.

• snobunyz24
    Original Author
    29 days ago

Thank you I will post more pics when I can and sketch out the floor plan. We can't center the couch along the window wall, unfortunately, bec the window wall is much longer than the current TV wall. I want to get rid of the bookshelf entirely next to the tv stand and this thread helps to solidify it. We have another bookshelf on the opposite end. Here's other angles at various times. The canvas painting alone is too small for the wall, the set of four frames are also too small proportion wise

• snobunyz24
    Original Author
    29 days ago

So you can see from these pics the TV wall actually ends at the end of the rug whereas the couch wall extends almost 5 more feet. The couch is currently centered on the TV wall thus looking all smooshed to the end of the room

• freedomplace1
    29 days ago

I think one piece of art with some sconces could be nice on that wall. You could use plug-in sconces, or battery operated sconces.

And since you have children, I recommend replacing the coffee table with an ottoman- style coffee table. Or at least a smooth edged round table, and of course no glass. But the ottoman is the best choice with children; no hard surfaces, no sharp corners.

• kazzh
    28 days ago

Ok the additional photos give a little more perspective. Am hoping the bookcases will fit in the corner with the play mat to form an L. This will then free up the far end of the room to the TV and sofa, with corner tables and lamp at the far end.

• PRO
    lisedv
    28 days ago
    last modified: 28 days ago

I think your sofa would look better not squished in the corner at the far end of the room and centered with the window. Have you tried moving it forward to see what that would look like?

Perhaps if you post a floor plan with dimensions of window and entrance to the room including the size of your sofa we'd be able to make appropriate layout suggestions.

• snobunyz24
    Original Author
    28 days ago

@lisedv- if we centered it on the window it extends past the tv wall and past the actual tv set- it's a considerable longer wall on that side.

The sofa is too long to flip and have the short end along the window and long across the room- it doesn't leave a comfortable passage into the room (we had the sofa before the house)

• snobunyz24
    Original Author
    28 days ago

I'll post one later today after I'm home

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    28 days ago
    last modified: 28 days ago

This might be a more functional layout for your room. No glare on the TV.

Select a canvas for over the sofa. Could be one piece or multiple pieces.

• PRO
    lisedv
    28 days ago

Can you post a floorplan? there might be another way altogether to approach your layout.

• snobunyz24
    Original Author
    28 days ago

I hate the imbalance of it all. I also like more mid century /industrial and surf / beach colors

• PRO
    lisedv
    28 days ago

And here's an idea of what it would look like...

• snobunyz24
    Original Author
    28 days ago

Wow! Thank you !

• snobunyz24
    Original Author
    28 days ago

@lise- we have two of those black bookshelves- do you think the black would still work? I also love that artwork and all the plants

• snobunyz24
    Original Author
    28 days ago

My husband is so excited to help me move some couches around 🤣🤣💀

• PRO
    lisedv
    28 days ago
  • PRO
    lisedv
    28 days ago

Here's the look with your 2 black bookcases...

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    27 days ago
    last modified: 27 days ago

Those bookshelves don't belong in this room. They don't look good as the featured item on the back wall. Do you have a home office?

• PRO
    Poovi Art
    27 days ago

add a large canvas artwork that is big enough to cover a significant portion of the wall, making it ideal for creating an impressive statement piece.

• PRO
    lisedv
    27 days ago
    last modified: 27 days ago

snowbunyz24:

I agree with BeverlyFLADeziner on the black bookcases, they don't belong. I showed you what it would look like but the white blends into the back wall much better. The white ones I show are from Ikea, easily assembled and not expensive.

Bottom doors - open shelves above:

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/billy-oxberg-bookcase-with-doors-white-s29281066/

Bottom doors - glass doors above;

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/billy-oxberg-bookcase-with-panel-glass-doors-white-s69281776/

• snobunyz24
    Original Author
    27 days ago

I agree as well the white is much better and go w our builtins next to the fireplace and mudroom. I appreciate all of the consideration. Our bookshelves were cheap target purchases anyway since 2009 and 2012- so we have made good use of them by now.