Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
homeprojectz

Need help for mirror, empty corner in living room, sofa reupholstery

homeprojectz
10 years ago
Hi everyone ! I have this mirror in the living room that is too small for the sofa and an empty corner on the side . Any suggestions to give the mirror a more balanced look and accessories for the empty corner ? And also for the sofa should I reupholster it with a solid color or can I just put some solid color throw pillows?

Comments (34)

• PRO
    Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    I would definitely reupholster your sofa and the other piece also in a solid fabric. You could use a contrasting welt if you wanted, and I would do both pieces the same. The corner needs a table lamp and a slightly smaller round table would look better than the square one.

As for what to put at the sides of the mirror, first I would lower it 3". Then I would take the pair of pictures and the oval artwork that is reflected in the mirror and place them flanking the mirror.

Hospital Home Lottery 2012 · More Info
    homeprojectz thanked Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
  • İnci Ayağ
    10 years ago
    İ dwant to look library
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    What part of the look I suggested made you think it would look like a library?
  • sunnydrew
    10 years ago
    Homeprojectz- It seems to me that this furniture is more "Sunroom" looking than a living room. What room are we looking at. It also looks like the couch and side chair have just cushions on them rather than fully upholstered like the turquoise couch above. Can't you just change our all the cushions?
    Carolyn- I do not understand the comment by inci Ayag about a library either. It must be lost in translation or something.
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    I only showed a regular sofa because I wanted to show the contrasting welt and I couldn't find a photo of a wicker sofa.
  • homeprojectz
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks for your suggestion. What color fabric would you recommend ?
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    I couldn't comment on color without seeing what else is in the room.
  • PRO
    essentials inside
    10 years ago
    I agree that seeing the rest of the room would be helpful. homeprojectz - can you upload some more pictures?

~Lyvonne
  • PRO
    Susan Hayward Interiors
    10 years ago
    Your mirror is a little too traditional for the casualness of the wicker sofa. I would put the mirror in a different area and recover the sofa in a solid with some bright print pillows!
    homeprojectz thanked Susan Hayward Interiors
  • homeprojectz
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    It's a very small living room. I wanted to get rid of the other loveseat because I feel like it's too much heavy furniture in a small room. I have also had a hard time furnishing it with accessories due to the floral print of the sofa. I was thinking if I reupholster to a solid color It would be easier to bring the room together. Bought the sofa set decades ago but still in a very good condition.
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    I'd like to see whichever wicker pieces you keep covered in an off white fabric. You could use a contrasting welt in the color of your draperies. If you get rid of the loveseat, you could add a chair, and it doesn't have to be wicker.

Then I think you need to add a rug and a coffee table, unless there is a mobility issue. It does seem that you definitely need a lamp on that end table!
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    I would reupholster in a solid color. Maybe a special color that your eye is drawn to. I think a soft to mid-tone blue or a seaglass green color if you like those colors. I would remove the loveseat and place the other chair that is by the piano in it's place. I think you can move the corner table closer to the arms of the sofas. Bring away from the corner of the wall. You need a lamp and a couple of books on it. Maybe two colorful collectibles in varying heights.
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    I would replace the mirror over the sofa and get a large artwork that has several colors, including the color of the new upholstery. If you keep the mirror, I would lower it to 6" above the sofa back. Add two candle sconces on each side that are almost as high as the height of the mirror.
    homeprojectz thanked LB Interiors
  • homeprojectz
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you for your feedbacks and suggestions, I would definitely have the sofa reupholstered. There used to be a lamp on the side table but it was too short, any style you can suggest ? I really would love to keep the mirror, having a hard time looking for a wall accent that would compliment it or maybe just what Carolyn said I can just use the pair of pictures and the oval artwork that is reflected in the mirror .
  • PRO
    BRFHomesTx
    10 years ago
    I think the couches are fine... In the corner you could use a little greenery. Maybe a fake/real tree. You could even do a bookshelf over in the corner with whatever little knick knacks you desire. You could put some sconces on either side of the mirror or maybe put some family photos around the mirror??
    homeprojectz thanked BRFHomesTx
  • Carol Sykes
    10 years ago
    I have one similar to that. I stood it up long ways on the mantle. If you want to leave it in that space, lower it a little and put some smaller pieces an each side; either a couple other mirrors or pictures. Recover the sofa in a solid with some texture. Warm up the wall color with a deeper color.
    homeprojectz thanked Carol Sykes
  • homeprojectz
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you for the ideas
  • homeprojectz
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I love the idea of a bookshelf, Carol I've thought about mirrors too but I'm having a hard time finding a style that would compliment it.
  • Geneviève
    10 years ago
    I like the furniture but for some reason your decor doesn't seem to fall into the right setting ,I really like the roses on the fabric by the way :)
    so here is my idea ,

I would paint the walls a very light green , I have a vision of a Victorian /modern living room . I will find the paint first
    then we will think of the rest .

paint
    Benjamin Moore Saybrook Sage Paint · More Info

your sofa + the roses printed fabric
    Hospitality Rattan Turks Bay Full Frame Rattan & Wicker Sofa with Cushions - Ant · More Info

the mirror is too small ,either add to it or get a wider one
    Large BuzzFull Length Rectangle Mirror - 27.5W x 79H in. Multicolor - ACC-016A · More Info

for the corner

Lumen · More Info

for the window
    Custom Made Cotton Curtains · More Info
  • homeprojectz
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks for the pictures Genevieve. I guess the green would tie in with the green on the sofa.
  • homeprojectz
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I do like the roses on the fabric but's it's hard to work around it .
  • homeprojectz
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    plus the mirror it's too small 27" H by 33" w above an 80" W sofa but I do love the details on this mirror
  • leelee
    10 years ago
    The mirror should be moved to the bedroom or a hallway. A nice large print would work much better and have more personality and warmth than the mirror.
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    You might want to color wash the mirror to see more of the detailed design.
    Color wash with metallic bronze or a pearl white metallic paint. It would be brown and bronze or brown and pearl white on the frame.
    Leola Antique Bronze Mirror · More Info
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    Maybe some sconces like these on each side of the mirror
    Acacia 1-Light Sconce · More Info
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    Or these
    Baroque Ornate Candle Wall Sconces - VIntage · More Info
  • homeprojectz
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Carolyn - I love the style and color of the lamp. LB Interiors - I like the shade of the Acacia Scone, it's so unique. Thank you for the ideas. I feel these accents can go well with the sofa. Do you think I still need to reupholster ?
  • homeprojectz
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    LB Interiors - when you say color wash do I use spray paint ?
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    You need to reupholster only if one of these reasons is valid:
    1. The upholstery is worn.
    2. You're tired of it.
    3. You want to update your home which looks dated.
  • PRO
    JudyG Designs
    10 years ago
    I would love to see more of the wicker and less of a fabric….go white and accent with colors.

You can also picture frame around your mirror.
    Fair Winds · More Info
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    To 'color' wash or 'white' wash ...
    Craft stores have 2oz. metallic paints and 2oz. glaze
    1 - 1 (2oz.) bottle of contrast color. Choose bronze or pearl white metallic.
    2 - 1 (2oz.) bottle glaze
    3 - Paint Brush to apply
    4 - Damp Rag
    Directions: Try to work quickly, you do not want it to completely dry.
    (Formula - you can always mix more)
    1 - Mix 3 tablespoons (color ) + 1 tablespoon (glaze). Total mixture 4 tablespoons
    2 - Apply mixture with brush on frame. Apply in all the nooks and crannies. The paint will puddle and will be irregular. You can do each side separately to see the desired finish.
    3 - Let stand for 1 munute.
    4 - Damp wipe (gently) the raised carved surfaces on the frame. Just skim over the raised carvings with a gentle hand. Do not get in the nooks and crannies. They are supposed to have more paint.
    5 - If you have too much of the color, then gently wipe some more off.
    6 - Add more paint if the finish is too light or too irregular. Wipe again.
    All edges and raised areas will be the original color of the frame The nooks and crannies will be the color applied.
    You may want to try this on a small scrap piece of wood carving that has some raised details.
  • sheilaskb
    8 years ago

I think the print upholstery is very pretty, and I would keep it. Personally, I find the solid colors in style now a bit boring, whereas a print can be the inspiration piece for the color scheme. I would suggest two options for the mirror over the sofa: find two pieces of coordinating wall art or companion pictures and put one on each side of the mirror; the second is to move the mirror to a hallway or foyer, turn it the other direction, and locate it above a small table. If you take down the mirror, you will need to find a large picture or larger companion pictures to take up the space. As for the empty corner, I like the table which appears to be light green on my computer. I would suggest you find a large table lamp with an interesting base and shade and place it on the table. You did not mention painting the walls, but a very light pink would be pretty. If you are daring enough, a very light, clear yellow as a background for the print upholstery will make your room look like spring year round.

• PRO
    8 years ago

Old dilemma from 2013.