Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sdbarber

Can glass blocks be used as a window in the shower?

sdbarber
10 years ago
What types of material can be used for a window in a shower without having to worry about mold for the material degrading?
NYC Bathrooms · More Info

Comments (11)

• varvaramisico
    10 years ago
    we recently installed glass blocks with led lighting between them. So far they are wonderful
    sdbarber thanked varvaramisico
  • sdbarber
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    We are wanting the natural light to come into the shower, which is why we are thinking glass blocks, with a pattern on the glass. Do you think it'll look and function great or should we do something else?.
  • sdbarber
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Sorry for all the questions but we haven't seen anyone with a window in their shower. Would you happen to have a picture of a frosted window installed in a shower? Also, how would we control moisture when we are shower people and there will be water coming in contact with the window everyday?
  • PRO
    Innovate Building Solutions
    10 years ago
    It is possible to have both a frosted window that is also done in glass blocks or also to use a "glass frit process" as well to provide privacy and style. I'll include some pictures below and a link to a web page to show this option as well:

http://innovatebuildingsolutions.com/products/glass-block/colored-frosted-glass-blocks

If you want the window to be operable another option are acrylic block windows - here is the link for that:

http://innovatebuildingsolutions.com/products/glass-block/acrylic-block-egress-decorative-windows
    sdbarber thanked Innovate Building Solutions
  • sdbarber
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    You mentioned controlling moisture with the window in the shower. Unlike the attached pictures, the window we were thinking of having in the shower would literally be a wall inside the shower, not a tub, so water would be on it several times a day. Can this be done with out having problems with the integrity of the window? What type of window would be best? NOTE: Currently we have a regular double glass window over the tub. We were hoping to replace the tub with a shower only and enclose our current shower to extend the closet size.
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    The glass block shown above could be used for shower windows as well. I would recommend using urethane grout between the glass block joints if you like this type of material.
  • sdbarber
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I'm not so attached to the glass blocks but we currently have a window that will need to be replaced since it's clear. Is there another type of window we could use? It needs to be diffused.
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Another option would be a "decorative glass window" or just a frosted vinyl window. I'll include an image of the decorative glass window - you'll see a link in my post above to learn more about this window as well. The application below does not show this window in a shower but with it's vinyl frame it certainly is applicable for a shower
  • Claire White
    10 years ago
    What is the wall color?
  • PRO
    DELUXE Design & Construction
    10 years ago
    Hello, the wall color is Ashland Slate from Benjamin Moore. It is from their Aura collection and is a Matte finish