Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paape

Living Room Needs Love!

paape
10 years ago
Any idea how to arrange the furniture and what to add/take away in this space? We like warm, a touch rustic with natural elements and this feels very cold! We thought about adding a cottage green to the walls or a warmer color to cozy up the space. Eventually we will be taking the gold away from the fire place. Here's where we're at with the space right now...

Comments (25)

• decoenthusiaste
    10 years ago
    Love to see the FP and all 4 "walls" to be more help. Start with heat proof black paint to cover the brass on the FP. Is your piano on an inside wall? Should be for its health. You look to have room for more furniture, but the panoramic pic is deceiving. We work better with standard shots for size and proportional reference. Add more here by commenting and using the Attach Images button.
  • pegonia1
    10 years ago
    This is a repeat of the same dilemma posted earlier......
  • Allison .
    10 years ago
    Wow, gorgeous windows. I agree the rug is small, which makes the furniture seem like it's floating in space. :) I would move the seating closer together and find a big, comfy rug that will anchor everything in the space.
  • Allison .
    10 years ago
    Oops, just noticed no coffee table or occasional tables too. Not sure if you just don't like them? But adding them will make the room feel more inviting.
  • User
    10 years ago
    I agree, maybe some small side tables to give you a place to put your drink. Maybe a coffee table in middle with some books or flowers (whatever you like) and personally I like some family photos or art in a living room. (add some pops of color maybe) Those windows are absolutely wonderful!
  • janeinfo
    10 years ago
    Love your room. I would get a very large neutral rug and add your colors in pillows on your leather sofa. Did you know they make fireplace spray paint so you can get rid of the "gold" until you can afford exactly what you want? I've used it, and it's amazing the difference it makes.
  • paape
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you for all the info this time around! Love the video on rug size. I agree...bigger rug and tables are much needed. Great info regarding fireplace paint. Thank you!
  • paape
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Here are 4 more pictures of the space. The window wall and fireplace wall are still panoramic to get them all in. We love the windows too!!
  • PRO
    Whispar Design
    10 years ago
    Have you considered adding stationary drapery panels on the bottom row of windows? Perhaps just on the outer edges and over the columns? This could add a bit of softness and warmth without sacrificing the view you have
    paape thanked Whispar Design
  • paape
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Good idea...and I would like the ability to close them too in the evening. I get stuck on the color...of the rug and drapery. I like to keep it simple/organic looking. We are also looking to recover the moss colored chair and a half and adding wood to the mantel. I'm guessing a rug with a white base to go with the chairs/couch but really prefer wheat colors (also have 4 children to keep in mind). Maybe wheat colored rug and whitish drapes would be the most practical?
  • PRO
    Article
    10 years ago
    Beautiful space. I think the loving room needs a coffee table to help center the space, especially if all of the furniture is pulled away from the walls. Here are a few pieces from Bryght that I think will work.
    1. Gordon
    2. Juno
    3. Mier
    For more images check out http://www.bryght.com/browse/20/coffee-tables
    paape thanked Article
  • paape
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Ooooo...yes, I do like those. I tend towards the boxier but either of those would work wonderful and like that the Gordon comes in wide. Great site! Thank You!
  • elaynemt
    10 years ago
    Minor point but along with the larger rug and coffee table I would square the rug and furniture to the fireplace. The angle you have it at now feels like it is fighting with the space and makes the furniture feel more disconnected and floating.
  • indomom
    10 years ago
    Love that you like the organic look. I think that will look nice with your view. I do think that the mirror above the fireplace is hung too high and the small art to the right of the fp is too small. More colorful, "nature-y" artwork would help to warm things up.
  • paape
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    You all are the best. I'm trying different things with pieces I already have. My son will be glad to have the mirror back. "Where is the hall mirror Mom?!" My major investments then need to be the rug, coffee table, and art! I also am going to square things off to the fireplace as multiple people have suggested...and eventually invest in some natural looking woven blinds as well.
  • PRO
    Whispar Design
    10 years ago
    Here is a crude rendering of your space with stationary panels using the accent cornice units mentioned earlier. Another photo shows them with shades. Hope this helps a little with a visual. Best of luck!
    Contemporary Cornice Window Treatments · More Info
  • elaynemt
    10 years ago
    OMG Whispar Design, that is gorgeous. What a difference such an apparently small thing makes in warming up the room.
    paape thanked elaynemt
  • PRO
    Color Zen
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Cute!! The mirror makes the room. I love the furniture/rug. The one thing I would change- wall color! I know the white wall look is trendy, but it's kind of hard to actually pull off. I think a mocha/latte color would warm the room and make it feel like a whole. Also the addition of effortless, floor sweeping drapery. Nothing too formal. Maybe in a linen type material. Good luck!
    paape thanked Color Zen
  • paape
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Wow, the panels make it look totally different doesn't it?! That is great! The wall color is a light yellow right now. I think I could warm that up some too. I would like to move the yellow color into the very true blue kitchen with all the currently white cupboards/counter tops! I just can't get over the difference with those panels...thank you!!
  • elaynemt
    10 years ago
    I wouldn't personally go into more yellow. I would rather go more grass/wheat colour. I find yellow hard to work with. Add yellows as accents rather than as wall colour when it is such a big and bright space. But I am no where near a designer so this is just a personal opinion.
  • paape
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Whispar Design...you have a great color on one of your pics using the Contemporary Cornice Window Treatment link...then Cornice Window Treatment-Dining Room from there. It's a wheat color? Any idea what that is?! I love it!
  • paape
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    We are thinking alike elaynemt and typing at the same time!!
  • PRO
    Whispar Design
    10 years ago
    Yeah the panels can make a big impact on a space - and extremely simple to install with the rod built into the unit. Regarding the color on the photo you mentioned is this the one?
    Cornice Window Treatments - Dining Room · More Info

If so, I am not certain but it looks close to HGTV's SW7732 Lemongrass from Sherwin Williams: http://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/color/find-and-explore-colors/paint-colors-by-family/SW7732/
    paape thanked Whispar Design
  • kimedge
    10 years ago
    hi, I think I would put the sofa 90 degrees to the fire. Put the two matching chairs opposite the sofa. The single grey chair could "make up the square" with its back to the window. A massive rug (yes, wheat would be gorgeous) would really set it off!